Monday, April 28, 2008

Kamal Hassan Interview in Hindustan Times


Marriage is a folly: Kamal Haasan


Kamal Haasan gets candid with Roshmila Bhattacharya on marriage, cinema and his much-awaited film Dasavatharam.



Your daughter, Shruti, is all gung-ho about an acting career now. Did you push her towards acting?


I've never pushed her, not even into a swimming pool. Don't you want to launch her yourself? I do but she didn't want to act earlier. Now, I think she's on herway to changing her mind.


What about Akshara?


She has to finish her education first.Even Shruti completed high school before going to the US for a degree in music. During that trip to the US, Gautami and she seemed to have bonded well and nowshe has accepted her as a surrogate mother. It didn't happen suddenly, but steadily and gradually. I was watching them every day without imposing my choice.



Seen Parzania?


I've seen parts of it. Sarika's good.


Do you meet her?


Not much.



After you separated, she's returned to acting. Did you stop her from acting when you were married?


No, it was entirely her decision.



Do you ever meet your first wife Vani Ganapathy?


No.
"I've never believed in marriage. It was only because I loved the women that I went through it to please them. Marriage, like religion for me, is an imposition.


"Both the times when you separated from your wives, there was another woman involved. Sarika led to your split with Vani and Simran caused a rift between Sarika and you.


Unless it's a gay marriage, there's always another woman involved.
You think it would have been better if you hadn't married Sarika?


Yes. I've never believed in marriage. It was only because I loved the women that I went through it to please them. Marriage, like religion for me, is an imposition.



Did you marry Sarika because of the children?


I don't want to blame anyone. All I can say is that marriage is a folly that is slowly becoming redundant. I have four vaccination marks. In our time, they were a necessary ordeal. It's different today. I'm hopeful that one day like the vaccinations, the institution of marriage too will go away.
Planning a comeback to Hindi films?


Oh definitely. There's plenty of money. But I'm a sucker for applause. I want to reach out to a bigger market.
You've been trying that for years since Ek Duuje Ke Liye. Ever felt you were victimised?


It would be easy to blame that on lapses. People are happy to see you fall, that's the attitude anywhere in the world. But (Winston) Churchill didn't win the war because (Adolf) Hitler gave up.
So where do you think you went wrong?


I didn't try hard enough. To succeed here, I needed to live in Mumbai, make films consistently, not have a release every four-five years. Still, the audience was kind, they didn't forget

No comments: